The Holidays are Coming – Are You Prepared?
As the old song says, “there’s no place like home for the holidays.” It’s that time of year when we begin to think about celebrations with family and friends, and making sure our homes are comfortable havens for our guests. From the scent of delicious foods and baked goods filling the air to the soft twinkling of holiday lights, this time of year is warm and inviting.
If you’re wondering how you can make your home holiday-ready, this month we’ll provide you with a few tips and suggestions. From home safety to energy savings, John Betlem can help you get your home prepared for the season, so you can enjoy the very happiest holidays possible with those you love.
5 Tips for Getting Your Home Holiday-Ready
- Don’t forget to set your clocks back. Daylight saving time comes to an end on Sunday, November 6, 2022. You’ll set your clocks back an hour at 2 a.m., meaning you get an extra hour of sleep that night! However, it also means that it will get dark earlier. That means you’ll need outdoor lighting to greet friends and family who come to call in the late afternoon and evening. John Betlem offers outdoor lighting installation to help keep your home illuminated!
- Make sure smoke alarms and CO detectors are in good working order. Nobody wants to think about a house fire or a carbon monoxide leak, especially around the holidays. It’s always best to be safe, though, and having properly installed smoke alarms and CO detectors is your first line of defense. If your detectors are 10 years old or more, it’s time to replace them. John Betlem can help you get the fire and CO safety devices you need.
- Choose energy-efficient holiday lights. Just like home lighting, you can now easily find holiday lighting that’s energy efficient. LED holiday lights generally consume 80-90 percent less energy than traditional holiday lights and last much longer. When shopping for holiday lights, look for ENERGY STAR-approved lighting to save the most energy this season!
- Make sure your home’s electrical system is in good condition. If you’ve noticed anything out of the ordinary with your electrical system, such as flickering lights, frequently tripping circuits, or sparks when you plug in appliances, it’s time for an electrical inspection. Electrical problems in the home can turn into fires if left unrepaired. Call John Betlem right away if you suspect a problem.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Most people use more energy during the holiday season. Holiday lights and other decorations that require electricity, as well as guests using outlets in the spare bedroom and bath, can quickly overload outlets and cause issues. Using a UL-certified power strip can help, but you may need to consider installing additional outlets in your home.
How can John Betlem help me get my home ready for the holiday season?
At John Betlem, we proudly offer a full range of HVAC and electrical services to our customers. We’re pleased to meet your electrical needs, at the holiday season and all year long. Like all of our services, customer satisfaction and safety is always our priority. Here’s what one of our customers had to say about us:
“I have to give three cheers to my service technician, Miles! His good hearing and quick thinking might have saved my house from burning down!! During his service call, while he was finishing checking out my furnace, he noticed a sizzling sound coming from the corner of the basement ceiling and alerted me. He investigated and saw some smoking near a faulty wire. I was able to call 911 and the fire department came immediately. Miles spoke to them and stayed. He was able to help them check out the faulty wire by lending his equipment, and they were able to shut down the specific fuse to the faulty wire, rather than shut down all the electricity to my house. I was lucky he was there on that day because I otherwise hardly ever go down to my basement. That sizzle and smoke could have turned into a total house fire! Thank you, Miles!!” -R.C., Rochester, NY
No matter what your need this holiday season, John Betlem is ready to help you.
From heating maintenance and smoke and CO detectors, to complete electrical services, John Betlem is ready to help you make your home a safe, comfortable retreat for your holiday guests. Simply give us a call at 585.271.8888 and we will be more than happy to help you with any home heating, safety, or electrical need you may have throughout the year.